Monday, April 21, 2008

Title: Urban Complex


I created this from a promotional postcard from a megamall in Malaysia.

This one started from my wish to create something with a weave.

I started by colouring the entire card with acrylic paint, taking care to make sure that words/letters can still be seen.

I then studied the postcard, and thought that I could perhaps incorporate some of the text in it -- 'Work smart and play harder..." -- into my piece.

I decided then to try to represent the city, with the weave representing interconnecting, unimaginative units stacked on top of one another, like we see with many urban structures these days.

"Work smart and play harder..." fits in well with this theme. We can all identify with the fast-paced life in the city.

The last step - to cover the entire area with white glue, and when it's nearly dry, to create a distress effect, to represent the stress and fractures of urban life.

No comments: